Monday, January 31, 2011

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy M Montgomery

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy M Montgomery is the second of the Anne of Green Gables series.  I had never read the books as a child but when PBS showed Anne of Green Gables I became curious and read at least the first three books.  Truth is, I think there were only six still being published at the time or maybe my bookstore didn’t have more than the first six.  Either way, I was surprised to find out there are eight.  I read at least the first three books but then became bored . . .?  Or I found Anne less charming . . . ?  I don’t know.  I honestly can’t remember why I stopped reading the books.

Sooooo . . . I am rereading them.  Or some of them anyway.  Some of them will be first time reads for me.

I remember when I saw the PBS miniseries Anne of Avonlea, I was confused.  The story was so different from anything I remembered and, at the time, I reread the first three books.  The television show departs drastically from the books, give or take some minor similarities.  The book is charming, a little more romantic as Anne plays matchmaker and watches her friends slowly fall in love.  Things at Green Gables change but Anne, herself, is still enchanting as she dreams through her life but also does what needs to be done, growing into the kind of young woman who manages to maintain her innocence and imagination.

I’m curious to see how I respond to the rest of the books in the series.  Will Anne lose her charms for me?  Will she outgrow them and become less enchanting?  Or will what is adorable in a young girl become deplorable in a mature woman?  It’ll be interesting, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...