Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder picks up where Little House in the Big Woods leaves off and left me even more disappointed and bored.  I liked the stories Pa shares about his own childhood and that of his father’s but these are no longer a part of the family’s life.   Pa is too busy building a house, etc.

Now I know that this book is criticized, strongly, for how much Ma hates the “Indians” but I think I missed something obvious because the only hatred expressed towards Native Americans was by Mrs. Scott who had apparently survived a massacre and would have residual prejudices.  However, Ma seemed mostly uncomfortable about there being Native Americans at all, as if the presence of white people should automatically assume everyone else would move away.

She was also uncomfortable upon first meeting Mr. Edwards although she was perhaps more tolerant of him because he was at least fully clothed (by her standards, anyway).

So what did I miss?  I’m not sure.  I only know that I won’t miss reading the rest of the books in the series because I have no intention of reading the rest.  Having said that, at least it carried me through the first few hours of our days' long hospital stay.  Just boring enough that I didn't have to think while reading it.  Who knew boring could ever be so effective?  Oh wait . . . most television programming managers already know this mysterious secret.  Hmmmmm . . .

Edit:  I found this excellent discussion of Little House on the Prairie and I simply had to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...