Friday, February 11, 2011

Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery is the third book in the Anne of Green Gables series of books and I am beginning to see that my intuition was correct and that, as Anne matures her escapades become less engaging. Mostly odd circumstances that occur through no fault of her own like an awkward proposal for marriage and the arrival of guests on a Friday who were supposed to drop by on Saturday. Otherwise, Anne has definitely been tamed as the result of her higher education and getting older.

Nevertheless, I did get choked up at the end, in spite of my knowing full well what was coming. There was no surprise, especially since this was a reread, but I still found myself getting all caught up, emotionally, and sighing with satisfaction. And oh such pretty prose, flowery in excess, like a garden in full bloom on a sultry summer’s evening. Too much but still you catch yourself inhaling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...