Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Kindness Handbook by Sharon Salzberg

The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion by Sharon Salzberg is not unlike her book Lovingkindness, only this book lacks the depth and profundity of the latter.  Some of the same stories are shared to complement the same teachings about how compassion and metta meditation work to enhance a sense of well-being.

Had I read this book before the other, I would have liked it well enough but probably not loved it as much as the latter.  I prefer my spiritual books to provoke some thought or inspire some insight, neither of which occurred while reading this one.  One could argue, I suppose, that the teachings in both books overlap enough to make the one seem irrelevant when compared with the other.  I don’t know if that is the case or not; I only know that if you’ve reading Lovingkindness and appreciated it, you may find yourself somewhat disappointed by this book.  However, if you are new to the Buddhist teachings on compassion and the metta meditation, this book may be right up your alley. For me, it was nothing more than a dead end of already explored territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...