Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Garland of Love by Daphne Rose Kingma


A Garland of Love:  Daily Reflections on the Magic and Meaning of Love  by Daphne Rose Kingma is a collection of very brief thoughts on love, focusing primarily on romantic love but also touching upon relationships between parent and child, friends, even coworkers.  The book itself is small, so there is not a great deal of content on each day’s page.  As  a result, most of the entries lack any real depth.

As with any collection of “daily reflections,” some are more meaningful than others, more personally relevant.  The author tries to be gender inclusive but I doubt many men would appreciate most of the book.  Similarly, I think most women will find something to like about this book.  It doesn’t aspire to be much and it succeeds.

However, there is something insulting in how superficial this book turns out to be.  This is spirituality “lite” and pop-psychology cum relationship advice.  I could see where each day’s reading might be an invitation for a couple to begin a dialogue, to perhaps go deeper into the lesson’s meaning.  And it has the occasional sentence or two that’s quote worthy (as my weekly quotes would suggest).  So this is not to say that I didn’t find it a pleasant book to read.  I’m glad it wasn’t my only “morning book” because I’m afraid then I might have found it more disappointing.   And I’m going to pass my copy along to someone I feel will appreciate it, although my copy is a bit beat up and battered.  

The reason my copy is battered is because I've had it since 1999 which is why it is yet another of my Books I Should Have Read By Now books.  There will be at least two more by the end of this month.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...