Friday, September 28, 2012

The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien

The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien is a classic and with reason.  I can't even say how many times I've read this book and I reread this and Lord of the Rings about every ten years but when I first read them I read them every year, sometimes even back-to-back.

I revisit the novels because they are one of the few where I fall in love each and every time.  The characters never fail to delight and inspire, the story is always engaging, and the prose is elegant.  This is masterful story-telling, an epic myth or mythic epic par excellence.  And this is one of the first times that the Banned Books Group has chosen a book I've already read that I was eager to read.  (Truth is, the group didn't choose so much as it came up in discussion and, since there are three books in The Lord of the Rings it made sense to read them over the summer--June, July, August.  Naturally, I began by reading the prequel.)

When my children were young, I read this novel to them, hoping they would be inspired to read The Lord of the Rings.  Although my son only remembers my reading this novel and vaguely remembers my reading one other, none of them read the trilogy.  They did see the movies, however, so they know, give or take some variations, how the story goes.

And now The Hobbit is coming to the big screen.  I'm so excited!  The journey of Bilbo Baggins from ordinary hobbit to hero is classic but it is especially remarkable in that he himself is mostly a catalyst, not performing the ultimate act of heroism that actually occurs "off set" by another character altogether.

Still, there's no debating that Bilbo is a hero, flawed though he may be.  He isn't noble nor brave.  He is relatably typical, average, and yet he is living in extraordinary times and if he mostly stumbles his way into doing the right thing at least he does something.  Which is why this novel, and the others, stand up to repeated readings.  What is most admirable about Bilbo is not how remarkable he is but how unremarkable and yet he is a hero in the end.

Edit:  Since writing this review months ago, it has been announced that instead of two movies there will be three and since this announcement, my enthusiasm has diminished exponentially.

4 comments:

  1. I'm also a fan, as you know, and I'm looking forward to the film, especially after I've watched the videoblog about the shooting process. Have you? I think, the dwarfs there are VERY cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the video blog. Do you have a link handy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I haven't seen this before. They need to make some notifications for this, really. Next time don't hesitate to push me in g+ =) Here is the link for the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbEefjEwsUs Just change the number and enjoy! They have 8 of them, if I'm not mistaken

      Delete
    2. Holy crap. It took me months to notice this. Stupid spammers flooded my blogs and I've been taking forever. Thank you for this link! I'm watching them bit by bit and you are awesome!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...