Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Paper Made by Kayte Terry

Paper Made: 101 Exceptional Projects to Make Out of Every Day Paper by Kayte Terry is a crafting book that I borrowed from the library because I liked the idea of projects that actually make use of the ordinary things around the house.  And the title is not deceiving.

Using a cardboard box, you can make yourself one of those ubiquitous letters that you see everywhere, ones that can be painted or decorated in papier-mâché or decoupage.  Toilet paper rolls become art supply holders or a garland.   Origami becomes cufflinks and kirigami becomes wall decorations.  Graph paper or playing cards can become a lampshade.  Anything is possible from the obvious to the surprising.

Truly surprising is that both my adult daughter and I found things we liked in this one book and we both agreed that this is a book we need to own.  Each project has a “level” and I tried one of the level 3 projects. It wasn’t as easy as it looked.  Oops.  I’ll have to try a level 1 or 2 and see if I can’t work my way up to the level 3.  I’ll admit, some of the projects are a bit odd.  Where does one find gum wrapper papers anymore?  Not the foil.  That’s easy to find.  But that paper wrapper?  I have a few packs of gum in the house right now and I guess the brand I buy no longer uses them.  Still, I remember making those gum wrapper chains when I was a little girl.  They were fun but I never knew what to do with them once they were made.  Now I know there are all kinds of things one can do with them! 

Definitely a winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...