Friday, May 24, 2013

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde


Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde is the fourth book in the Thursday Next series.  After not particularly enjoying the third book, I wasn’t sure what I’d make of this book.  And wow am I glad I didn’t stop with the third book. This one was so much fun to read. 

Now, I admit it may have been as simple as I was in a better place emotionally.  More likely, it is because I love Hamlet and found it amusing to see him engage in the “real” world.  Of course, the world in which Thursday Next lives is not necessarily real, although it is much like our own.  Only it isn’t.  I mean, where else would someone stop playing hockey to play professional croquet because the former is not as violent as the latter? 

It’s that sort of quirkiness that makes these books so very much fun to read.  But you can’t skip the third book because too much happens therein, things that overlap into this fourth book.  A thread that was left dangling is interwoven into this book, and even the too convenient incidents are put into a logical context, if one can apply the word logic to the weirdness of this alternate reality.

Anyway, a fun read.  Perfect for a summer vacation or a bit of escapism.

2 comments:

  1. I know I would love this series. I love quirky. It seems like there are always some books in series that aren't quite as good as the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, It does seem to be true that most series have one or two books that serve more as a transition between the previous one and the next one. I definitely liked the next book the series far more than this one.

      If you like quirky, you may enjoy Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books are brilliant and bizarre. I often chuckle while reading them. I would not recommend starting with the first few, however, because he didn't really hit his stride until some of the later books. You might want to read one or two of the more recently published ones and then go back and read the first few, to see how some of the main characters were introduced. There are 39 books in the series so you'll have a lot of fun reading them. And one book doesn't necessarily lead into the next so you can read one, not read another for a few months or years, and read another. No need to recall what happened in the previous book. Except for recurring characters, each book is sort of an entity unto itself.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...