Monday, January 13, 2014

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 3

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 3 edited by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and “wirrow” is an addition to the charming collaborative project.  Artists contribute drawings—some more sketch-like in their simplicity while others are complicated drawings.  Writers contribute words.  Each inspires the other and are paired and presented on the small pages of the books.

This third volume is just as interesting as the first two.  Once again, I found myself easily flipping past a few of the tiny stories while other times I had to pause.  I don’t know if I am alone in this but I find myself imaging how some of the stories continue, taking the few words on the page as a sort of writing prompt.  I even try to look only at the images and make up my own “story” to go along with it. 

I love the haphazard results, the way some images juxtapose against one another, how sometimes the words take an image and turn it in surprising ways, and vice versa.  As with the previous two volumes, some of the combinations don’t quite work for me while others are downright transcendent.  Is it too soon to look forward to the fourth volume?  I hope not.  I have a feeling I am not alone in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...