Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind by Zack Whedon and Georges Jeanty

Serenity:  Leaves on the Wind by Zack Whedon and Georges Jeanty picks up where the movie Serenity leaves off and is an essential addition to anyone who is a Browncoat.  But anyone who hasn't watched both the television series Firefly and the film and read Shepherd's Tale as well as the stand alone comic about Wash may be somewhat lost.  You might get away with not reading the final two but if you haven't watched all of the above then too much will be lost.

In other words, this graphic novel is for the fans out there who will love the story, the inside jokes, the references that root this story in the well defined 'Verse of the television series and movie.  Some of the self-referential moments are purely visual.  

I mention that the references are occasionally visual because the thing I liked least about this graphic novel is the artwork.  Don't misunderstand.  It is good.  I showed it to both my daughter and my husband and there was a consensus.  The artwork is good but vague.  It's difficult to recognize the very familiar characters.  Having read a few other graphic novels from the Whedonverse, I can say that most of the characters are recognizable, not necessarily in each and every panel but most of the time.  So it was a bit disappointing to find myself struggling to tell whether Mal or Simon was talking in one panel or even a whole page.

Still, the story more than makes up for whatever lack there is in the visuals. There are familiar characters from the television series, one in particular that thrilled me.  To say anything more, would to give away too much. I'm avoiding spoilers as best I can.  Suffice it to say, fans of the show and movie will have a great time with this graphic novel in spite of its cliffhanger ending. 

ARGH!  All of the previous graphic novels have not been a part of an ongoing story.  So yes, I am disappointed even as I'm sitting on the edge of my seat eagerly awaiting the next collection.  Hurry up, Whedonverse (Zack, Joss, Greorges Jeanty, Favio Moon, et al). Your Browncoats are eagerly awaiting the next installment!

5 comments:

  1. Another Brown-coat checking in. Firefly is my absolute favorite show but I have been hesitant to check out any of the graphic novels since its cancellation (beings weeping). You've tempted me to break-down and read this but I just wish they'd bring back this show. If they started a kick-starter campaign, I'd be all over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason C, I would definitely read Shepherd's Tale (http://amzn.to/1Bmb2V8) because Booker is such a mystery in the series so to finally learn his back story is great.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'll do that. I'm surprised my library actually carries it but there are only two copies and 20 holds. If my math is correct, I'll probably get it in 5 months. However, they do have Serenity Vol 1: Those Left Behind with plenty of copies available. Should I start at the beginning or do you suggest starting with vol 3 - Shepherd's tale?

      Delete
    3. JasonC, I know how that is with loooong waits for things. I consider it a pleasant surprise when I've been waiting and waiting and waiting and one day it's just there ready for me to pick up. Like an unexpected package! :)

      Delete
    4. Oops, in answer to your question, I'd go ahead and read what you can get but if you don't especially love volume 1 still give 3 a chance. Well worth it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...