Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner


The Scorch Trials by James Dashner is a sequel to The Maze Runner and I could hardly wait to get around to reading it.  To avoid spoilers, I am not going to write much that’s specific, so if this review seems vague, I do apologize.  I’ll put spoilers in a separate post and you can follow the link to the spoilers if you like.

I described the first novel in this series as relentless and I was surprised that Dashner was able to maintain the same momentum as in the first novel.  It is nearly impossible to put this book down.  You can’t help but want to know what will happen next.  The characters are more fully developed as new characters are introduced.  Who to trust, who will survive, makes this a compelling novel and I can easily see how it will be a success on the screen. 

Be warned. As soon as you start this book, you better have the third book on hand.  You won’t want to wait to read the third and final book.  I know I couldn’t wait, and yet, I had to because this series is so popular the library didn’t have a copy on hand.  Eventually, I was able to borrow it from the person who recommended it to me.  I enjoyed the novel very much.  I’d recommend it to anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games. It’s almost impossible not to compare the two (young adult novels that take place in a dystopian future society) and this one manages to hold its own in very good company.  

The above is spoiler free.  If you have read this novel and/or don't care about spoilers, I post-dated some of my thoughts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...